Sunday 10 April 2011

Question 3

What have you learned from your audience feedback?
To gain audience feedback and information from an audience I handed out questionnaires to 15 people in a corresponding media class. All of the candidates where between the ages of 16 and 17 of white ethnicity male and female. Considering this group of people fits our target audience then this feedback will be highly valuable.

The graph above shows the amount of people who gave a certain score out of 5 for how relevant they felt the question was to my digipak. I found that females found my video more appealing I am not sure why specifically this is. However I believe that this could be down to the female singer who isn’t exploiting her body. In my point of view I successfully created a strong female character who is one of the boys yet her femininity remains intact. This creates a strong role model for women to follow. The reason the men may not find this video particularly appealing is because there isn’t much footage of the male actors, there fore the audience cannot see themselves reflected in the media text I have created. Or maybe it is the representation of women themselves in the video, men are used to seeing the music videos on television chart shows such as on MTV where women are very often dressed in a very sexualised manner with little clothing and dancing provocatively. This video is not the usual style that is reflected on standardised music channels.





As we can see from the female feedback, the ratings are much higher with the majority vote in the top mark section of feedback. Also women added comments to the bottom of the questionnaires saying that they picked up on a loose relationship between the drummer and the female lead singer which the males were oblivious to. This small piece of narrative can be explained by the encoding decoding theory by Stuart Hall with the male’s an aberrant reading was apparent and they translated the text differently to how I the producer intended, yet the females decoded and interpreted it as I proposed to do. Another reason I feel women found the text more successful is due to narcissism and finding themselves reflected in the text or perhaps even feeling jealous of the lead singer being with the band or one of the boys, yet keeping her femininity intact.

I have learnt from the audience feedback that women find my music video more appealing due to how women are represented. I showed the women out of the ordinary, being a provocative scantily clad woman. I chose to represent women as one of the boys fitting in and joking around with them yet still obviously being a woman. I also included a small theme of romance between the drummer and singer. This improved the appeal because teenage girls between 16 and 17 are in and out of small relationships and they can easily relate to the themes conveyed where as males can’t relate to this theme as easily. Due to the fact the majority of my video is based around the female character there isn’t much action for the males to engage with I believe this is why that men didn’t rate my video as highly. However from the audience feedback I received I could change and develop ideas for possible improvements to increase the amount that the male target audience can engage more with the action. 

1 comment:

  1. You say.... "I showed the women out of the ordinary, being a provocative scantily clad woman. I chose to represent women as one of the boys fitting in and joking around ..."

    This sentence is a little confusing and contradicts other points you've made about representing the female lead singer as being an equal member of the band!!

    Also I didn't quite understand why a female audience would be "jealous" of the lead singer.

    Nevertheless well done for differentiating between the male and female responses to your music video. What about feedback on your print productions?

    A proficient and relatively detailed response. response

    ReplyDelete